Hong Kong is one of the most popular cities in the world. For one, it is the most densely populated city in the world, it is a major financial services center (actually, some call it the New York of the East) and it contributes a huge part of the People's Republic of China GDP. The city has a natural harbor and has the highest average IQ of any city. There is probably so much to write on the history of the city, but below are the major highlights.
1. There is archaeological evidence that shows that Chek Lap Kok area has been occupied from 35,000 to 39,000 years ago and in Sai Kung Peninsula from 6,000 years ago.
2. 1839 - Qing Dynasty refused to import the Opium and this led to First Opium War between China and Britain.
3. 29 August 1842 - Hong Kong Island was formally ceded in perpetuity to the United Kingdom under the Treaty of Nanking. This led to the establishment of Crown colony and founded the City of Victoria.
4. 1850 - Chinese people, escaping the Taiping Rebellion would emigrate from China to Hong Kong.
5. Population growth - 1865, Hong Kong had a population of 125,504, of which some 2,000 were Americans and Europeans. In 1914 despite an exodus of 60,000 Chinese fearing an attack on the colony during World War I, Hong Kong's population continued to increase from 530,000 in 1916 to 725,000 in 1925 and 1.6 million by 1941.
6. 8 December 1941 - The Japanese attacked Hong Kong and the British relinquished control in of the colony to Japan on 25 December. Due to inflation and other war related difficulties, the population of Hong Kong dwindled from 1.6 million to in 1941 to 600,000 in 1945 when the UK resumed control of the Island.
7. 1950s - 1990s - During the cold war era, the companies in Mainland communist shifted base to Hong Kong and this led to a quick industrial revolution that saw Hong Kong becoming a developed country.
8. 1 July 1997 - The British officially handed the control of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China which formerly ended 156 years of British occupation.
Today, Hong Kong is one of the most visited cities in the world - both by tourists and businessmen. The city has been ranked among the richest, the most educated, and the cleanest and with the highest Human Development Index. This is a city you must add to your bucket list if you have never visited it.