A fantastic river cruise partner of ours - Avalon Waterways - has introduced a new series of cruises called Active Discovery - which invites you to expand the horizons of your favorite activities with new active & culturally immersive experiences in each destination.
Explore the culture, sights, and adventures waiting beyond the shore in the most active, engaged, and fun ways imaginable. Learn some of the local language—and then go try it in a café or pub. Take in more than the scenery by learning something new, meeting new friends, and reaching new heights.
Every port gives you a world of possibilities as you interact with the locals and choose the dynamic, interactive activities that appeal to you most. It's the Old World in a whole new way!
When packing your polos and pashminas, there's no reason to leave your passions and pursuits behind. Active Discovery Cruises unites you with your pastimes - and other like-minded enthusiasts - both on the ship and off.
Hike, bike & explore your way through the scenic & historic wonders of the world. These interactive & energetic cruises give you opportunity to spend time with locals & learn about local traditions & the culture with hands-on activities.
Active Discovery on the Rhine - Northbound
8 Day River Cruise from Frankfurt to Amsterdam
Highlights & Sightseeing
DAY 1 Arrive in Frankfurt, Germany. Transfer to Wiesbaden (Embarkation): welcome to Germany; welcome reception
DAY 2 Wiesbaden, Excursion to Eltville–Rüdesheim: choice of visit to the Eberbach Monastery, Eltville walking tour and wine tasting, or hiking in Eltville
DAY 3 Rüdesheim–Rhine Gorge–Boppard–Koblenz – Engers: free time in Rüdesheim; cruise through the Rhine Gorge; choice of visit to Marksburg Castle, walking tour of Koblenz, or join a Volcano experience; concert at Castle Engers
DAY 4 Bonn–Cologne: free time in Bonn; choice of Cologne sightseeing off the beaten track, visit the chocolate museum, or walking tour in Cologne
DAY 5 Düsseldorf–Duisburg: free time in Düsseldorf; choice of visit the Zollverein coal mine,guided hiking around Duisburg, or culinary walk in Duisburg
DAY 6 Xanten: choice of biking tour along the Rhine, participate in the Roman games at the Archaeological Park, or take part in a Roman clothes workshop
DAY 7 Amsterdam, Holland: choice of joining a painting class, running tour, or canal cruise
DAY 8 Amsterdam (Disembarkation): your vacation ends with breakfast
- Captain’s welcome & farewell receptions with sparkling wine and canapés
- Welcome dinner
- Farewell dinner
- Daily full buffet breakfast with made-to-order egg station, hot and cold menu items
- Early and Late Riser breakfast
- Daily lunch buffet with pasta or carving stations
- Alternative light lunch or (weather permitting) grill fare at the Sky Bistro on the Sky Deck
- Daily four-course à la carte dinner in the main dining room
- Alternative dinner of petite portions or regional specialties with wines, in the Panorama Bistro
- Daily Afternoon Tea
- Daily Night Fare
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel