Travelling responsibility- what does it mean?
We loved these tips from AFAR magazine so wanted to share:
- Do your research ahead of time. Is COVID-19 spreading in your community? Is it spreading in the community/communities you’ll be visiting? If the answer is yes, now might not be the best time to go. If the answer to those questions is no, if ever there was a time to overplan, this is it. Plan your route and book lodging and restaurant reservations in advance as best you can. This isn’t the time for a spontaneous trip.
- Protect the public. When you go, practice social-distancing measures and wear masks around strangers, indoors in public places, and outdoors in crowds or where social distancing isn’t possible.
- Get tested. Depending on the type of overnight trip you’re taking and if you’ll come into close contact with other people outside your bubble, consider getting a COVID-19 test before you go and when you return home.
- Prepare for the unexpected—and pack for it, too. Bring extra masks, hand sanitizer, and wipes. It’s better to be overprepared than underprepared.
- Support local businesses every step of the way. (Note: Many prefer payment with credit or debit cards right now, to avoid handling cash.)
- Be patient and tip well. Have respect and empathy for hospitality professionals trying to offer you a memorable experience in these difficult times. You owe it to them to do your best to keep them safe. For example, if a restaurant server is taking care of you while you are eating and unmasked, make sure you don’t talk directly at the server. (It’s awkward, we know, but err on the side of caution as much as possible.)
- Follow the rules of the communities you visit. Check for any local or regional updates while you’re on the road and once you return home: Tourism boards and municipalities are constantly updating their information online.
At North South Travel, we understand that travelers are in such different places in terms of their ability, desire, and willingness to travel right now. For those who are getting out there, please do it responsibly and with the utmost care—not only for yourselves but also for others. And for those who are staying home, we want to keep your future travel dreams alive and will continue to host virtual Travel Dreaming events featuring different destinations and experiences to keep you inspired for the future.
Whenever you are ready, we will be here for you.