As much as we’d like to, we can’t always be relaxing in the Caribbean or Mexico. From the gorgeous beaches and blue water to the fresh cuisine to the tasty cocktails, there’s not much better than a tropical escape. To make reality a little easier, we asked our friends from The Ritz-Carlton Hotels in the Caribbean and Mexico to share a recipe so you can have a taste of paradise at home!
THE RITZ-CARLTON, ARUBA
- 2 ounces Flor de Caña rum
- 2 ounces Cactus purée
- 1 ounce Simple Syrup
- ¾ ounce of Triple Sec
Pour all the ingredients in a glass filled three-quarters with ice and finish a splash of 7UP
THE RITZ-CARLTON, CANCUN
- 2 liters Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pc Garlic clove (minced)
- 8 pc Corn tortillas (toasted over open fire and crushed)
- 20 gr Epazote leaves (Mexican Tea)
- 0.5 kg Onion (diced)
- 2 kg Tomato (very ripe, diced)
- 3 pc Guajillo chili peppers (deseeded)
- To taste Salt and pepper
- 100 gr Fresh cheese (panela or cotija)
- 3 pc Tortilla (cut into fine strips and crispy fried)
- 1 pc Pasilla chili (deseeded cut into fine strips and fried)
- 200 gr Sour cream
- 20 gr Cilantro (chopped)
- 2 pc Avocado in cubes
- In a sauce pan fry the onion, chili, garlic until soft.
- Add the diced tomato, chicken or vegetable stock and simmer until all ingredients are completely cooked.
- Add the toasted tortillas and season to taste.
- Simmer for five more minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow resting half an hour, liquefy and strain.
- Cool and keep refrigerated
THE RITZ-CARLTON, SAN JUAN
- 1oz Bacardi Superior
- 1/2oz Chambord
- 3oz Coconut Cream
- 3oz Pineapple Juice
- 1oz Raspberry Puree
- 10oz Glass of Ice Cubes
- Mix coconut cream and pineapple juice
- Blend with Bacardi Superior rum and ice until frozen
- Add raspberry puree and Chambord liquor on bottom of tall glass
- Pour piña colada mix
- Garnished with a slice of fresh pineapple
Painkiller best enjoyed on the Lady Lynsey, the Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas’ luxury catamaran.
THE RITZ-CARLTON, ST. THOMAS
- 3 oz pineapple juice
- 3 oz orange juice
- 2 oz coco lopez
- 2 oz Pussers dark rum
- Pour ingredients in a cocktail shaker; mix
- Pour into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with a dash of nutmeg and garnish with an orange slice
THE RITZ-CARLTON, GRAND CAYMAN
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
How to make it:
- Combine salt, allspice, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic, nutmeg, pepper, ginger, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and thyme to make jerk.
- Toss the chicken pieces with the spice mixture, then cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour the vegetable oil into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place the chicken pieces skin-side up into the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, until no longer pink near the bone.
- Turn the oven on to broil, and cook until the skin crisps, 2 to 5 minutes.
DORADO BEACH, A RITZ-CARLTON RESERVE
Cocktail best enjoyed in paradise.
- 2 oz. tanqueray gin
- 1 oz. martini rosso vermouth
- 2 oz. passion fruit puree
- honey water
- 1.5 oz. cranberry juice
- Garnish: sprig of mint
- Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake, and strain over ice.
- Garnish with sprig of mint
Note: to add a flame, place a passion fruit shell on top of drink. Fill with Bacardi 151. Carefully flame liquor and extinguish. We recommend leaving it to the experts at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserv