Experience the many attractions of South West France offering important wine producing regions, medieval towns and villages, the sophisticated resort of Biarritz, fortified towns and a stay in spiritual Lourdes. All this adds up to a well rounded tour of a fascinating part of France, in 9 days!
Join a unique small group Back-Roads touring experiences (maximum 18 participants) that includes specially selected accommodations, transportation in purpose built Mercedes Benz Sprinters, sightseeing, special culinary experiences and a knowledgeable Tour Leader.
- 8 nights' accommodation
- Driver/tour leader
- Mini-coach transportation
- European breakfast daily
- 4 evening meals
- 3 wine tastings
- Truffle farm, and entrance fees (ToulouseLautrec Museum, Lascaux Caves and Chateau de Beynac).
- Travel insurance
- International and domestic airfare & airfare taxes
- Visa fees if applicable
- Meals and beverages not specifically indicated
- Items of a personal nature
- Pre and post tour accommodation
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Taste delicious wines from Medoc and St Emilion.
- Travel through the picturesque "Bastides" and discover their history.
- Stay two nights in the fortified city of Carcassonne.
- Learn how to find black truffles at a traditional truffle farm.
- Drive through spectacular mountainous scenery and take in the stunning varied landscapes.
- Your journey through South West France begins at Bordeaux, an impressive city with attractive classical and neoclassical architecture. Have a tour of the highlights of the city then travel to Medoc, the well known wine producing region and learn about the exceptional wine made here. Overnight here in the village of Blanqufort.
- Continue to Bayonne, the cultural capital of the Basque country and a fortified city. Later, arrive in Biarritz, the chic, sophisticated resort on the Bay of Biscay with its excellent beaches and many amenities for overnight.
- The next day, head to the charming town of Pau in the lower Pyrenees with its impressive dominating castle. Afterwards, arrive at Lourdes, the spiritual town where the apparition appeared in 1858. You will have stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Overnight in Lourdes.
- Continue to Bastides, one of many well preserved medieval towns in the area. En route to your next destination, Carcassonne, stop to enjoy a sample of Blanquette, a fizzy French wine. Spend 2 nights in Carcassonne.
- The next day is at leisure to explore this atmospheric fortified city and a UNESCO World Heritage site. The highlight is its very large and impressive medieval fortress.
- From Carcassonne, travel to Albi with its 13th Century gothic Ste. Cecile cathedral and its Toulouse- Lautrec museum. Continue to the delightful town of Sarlat in the Dordogne region, your home for the next 3 nights.
- The Dordogne region is full of chateaux, medieval towns and villages. Visit the prehistoric Lascaux Caves, the attractive village of Les Eyzies and stop at a local truffle farm.
- Enjoy a day in Sarlat to discover its charms as it is one of France’s most beautiful cities, an architectural gem with an old town of impeccably restored stone buildings. Also take a trip to Beynac-et-Cazenac with its chateau perched high on a cliff overlooking the Dordogne countryside.
- Your final day brings you to St. Emilion, an attractive town of narrow streets and timber-framed houses. St. Emilion is renowned for its red wines which you will taste after which return to Bordeaux to end your stay in South West France.