*images courtesy of Uniworld
We are excited to be partnering with locally owned boutique wine store Marquis Wine Cellar on this incredible river cruise through the spectacular Burgundy and Provence region. Led by John Clerides, owner of Marquis Wine Cellars and North South Travel Advisor Pam Scott, join like-minded travellers and wine enthusiasts on this luxurious all inclusive sailing with Uniworld Boutique River Cruises.
Departing on Sept 19th 2021, you will follow in the footsteps of Van Gogh, Cézanne and Gauguin on this exquisite journey through southern France; the same beautiful countryside and culture that inspired the masters will now inspire you.
Cruise the Rhône and Saône rivers, enjoying the region’s incomparable wine and cuisine and discovering its many treasures—from the medieval wonders of UNESCO-designated Avignon to Lyon’s lively river banks. Stroll the very streets of Arles made famous by Van Gogh. Visit Avignon’s majestic Palace of the Popes. Experience “Village Day” in enchanting Viviers, including a recital of music composed by Bach and Handel. And for those who wish for a more active exploration of the area, you can kayak on the tranquil Gardon River under the UNESCO-designated Pont du Gard; hike the steepest vineyards on the Rhône; and pedal through the city designed with bike riders in mind while in Lyon. Explore unforgettable “Burgundy & Provence” where tradition is as deeply rooted as the historic grapevines on the hills.
In addition, enjoy specially curated wine experiences for your group led by John at Marquis Wine Cellars.
For more information, please view our pre-recorded information session here.
Pricing starts from CAD$6,599 per person for a Classic cabin or CAD $8,299 for a French Balcony cabin. Our prices include a discount of at least $400 per person, PLUS North South Travel guests will receive an exclusive CAD$260 per person shipboard credit due to our membership in the Virtuoso network. You can also enjoy discount if they previously have sailed with Uniworld or travelled with any other sister brand of the Travel Corporation family.
Space is extremely limited- please contact us today for more information or to secure your cabin aboard the beautiful S.S. Catherine.
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions
- Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including “Choice Is Yours” options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided “Let's Go,” “Do as the Locals Do” and “Village Day” programs
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio-headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the striking S.S. Catherine
- Lavishly appointed riverview staterooms and suites have handcrafted Savoir® Beds of England, high thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and European duvets, and a menu of pillow options
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 1 country: France
- 4 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
Our special group pricing in Canadian dollars starts from:
Classic: $6,599.00 per person
French Balcony: $8,299.00 per person
Deluxe Balcony: $8,999.00 per person
Suite: $12,199.00 per person *waitlist only
Our group prices are locked in but space is subject to availability!
Day to day itinerary - Lyon to Avignon
Day 1 - Arrive at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport where you will be greeted by a Uniworld representative and transferred to the ship.
Day 2 - Mâcon (Beaune) - city tour with option to visit Burgundy wine landscapes or Mâcon walking discovery tour.
A special Captain’s Welcome Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening
Day 3 - Lyon - As the epicenter of French gastronomy, Lyon is a city of tantalizing contrasts. Get to know the city with the “Let's Go” Lyon peninsula bicycle tour, where you have the choice of two different excursions: "Do as the locals do" Lyon Silk weavers or Lyon capital of Gastronomy tour.
Day 4 - Tournon (Tain-l’Hermitage) - Explore the enchanting twin villages of Tournon and Tain-l’Hermitage and indulge yourself by tasting the local specialty—wonderful wines made primarily from Syrah grapes. Choice of excursions: "Lets Go" Hermitage terrace vineyards hike with wine tasting or Exclusive Tournon and Tain-l’Hermitage twin villages stroll with wine tasting.
Day 5 - Viviers - An enchanting village where time seems to have stopped centuries ago, Viviers has a long and storied past that goes back more than 1,600 years—and a splendid architectural heritage to match. Featured excursion: Exclusive intimate Viviers “Village Day”
Day 6 - Avignon - The walled city of Avignon is one of the most fascinating towns in southern France, with a host of historic gems to explore—including the fortress residence of rebellious popes who broke from Rome and once lived and ruled here. Choice of excursions: Avignon walking discovery tour with Palace of the Popes or Pont du Gard Roman Aqueduct visit.
Day 7 - Tarascon (Arles or Tarascon) - Explore one of two sun-drenched Provençal towns today, each with an allure all its own. Known for its remarkable Roman ruins, Arles so inspired Van Gogh that he painted some 200 paintings there; Tarascon boasts an ancient castle, as well as a local legend about a ferocious dragon. Featured excursions: Mediterranean Arles walking discovery tour or Tarascon walking discovery tour.
A special Captain’s Farewell Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening.
Day 8 - Avignon (Disembark) - transfer to the airport.
Who will enjoy this cruise
Travelers wishing to walk through the lands that inspired Van Gogh, Cézanne and Gauguin. History buffs, gastronomes and wine connoisseurs.
- Uniworld has been voted "#1 River Cruise Line" in the Travel & Leisure 2018 World's Best Awards.
- You will be sailing on the sumptuous S.S. Catherine that holds 159 guests.
- Each ship is uniquely designed – with hand-crafted furniture, commissioned exclusively for Uniworld.
- The culinary journeys experienced onboard every cruise are every bit as rich, varied, and flavourful as the voyage itself.
- In addition to the gourmet cuisine, a variety of distinctive local wines selected by top sommeliers accompany each meal.
About Your Host- John Clerides; owner of Marquis Wine Cellars
John was raised listening to stories about his father’s childhood in a Cypriot mountainside village. He heard about how his grandfather looked after his family of nine by raising an assortment of animals, and by growing their own fruits and vegetables. His grandfather also tended their vines and made wine, along with their local moonshine which was nothing less than racing fuel. The seeds were planted for his curiosity about food and wine.
In 1977 his career began like any other good Greek Canadian, in the family restaurant. Ten years in the restaurant business gave John a strong foundation for working with people and listening to his customers. Painfully aware of the frustrations locals had by the limited selection of wines and indifferent service, John jumped at the opportunity to open Marquis Wine Cellars in 1986. Inspired by speaking with many of his seasoned wine friends and his readings John’s quest for knowledge began.
John has travelled extensively though Australia, Washington, Oregon, California, Italy, Spain, France and Austria, sourcing unique, flavourful, undiscovered wines. Even after 25 years his quest for discovery remains unabated. You will most likely find John in either one of three places, at Marquis Wine Cellars assisting his clients, in a vineyard or cellar somewhere in the wine world, or his most preferred location: at the local ice rink playing hockey.
Get to know more about John Clerides and his amazing team at Marquis Wine Cellars
If this sounds like the type of cruise experience you would enjoy please contact one of our Travel Advisors by clicking on the "Contact Us" button or call us on 604-736-7447