Taipei is the largest city and capital of the Republic of China, or what is commonly known as Taiwan. The city is located along the Tamsui River in the Taipei Basin. It is nestled on the northern tip of Taiwan and is home to 6.9 million people.
I bet that there are some things you do not know about the city and here are a few interesting facts below:
1. Between 2004-2010, Taipei Tower was considered the tallest building in the world. It is now outranked by the Burj Dubai in Dubai. The total cost of construction was estimated around $1,600,000,000.
2. Only in Taipei can you find a bookstore that runs 24-hours. In particular, the Eslite Bookstore Dunnan has all the books that you can think of and is open to customers 24 hours. In case you want to look up something (that is not on Google) you can find it here.
3. It is advisable to always have an umbrella with you. Taipei is notorious for getting a downpour without a warning. But therein lays one of the greatest Romantic experiences. Imagine walking in the rain with your fiancé? How about stealing a memorable kiss in the rain...just like they do it in the movies?
4. You will find all kind of weird ideas in Taipei. For example; there are several popular eateries that serve ice cream in mini toilet bowls, you are going to get you mug shot and posted on the internet and you will instantly become popular without knowing why...I mean, it is a completely open society.
5. Oh...you should give up on trying figuring out the things that are sold in the markets. Even the locals cannot tell you what 50% of the things they sell are. Just roll with it and you will find that there is adventure in anything that you do in Taipei.
For information on accommodation in Taipei or flights to Taiwan, please contact a Travel Specialist at North South Travel today